Marjoram is a distinctive perennial plant that belongs to the Lamiaceae family and has an extremely impressive nutritional profile that offers a plethora of health benefits to whoever uses it. Known as knot marjoram or sweet marjoram, it belongs to the same genus as oregano and has been widely cultivated for centuries in India, Mediterranean regions, North Africa and Western Asia.
Marjoram essential oil by Young Living which is owned by D. Gary Young also has a mild flavor and is used as a key ingredient in French, Italian and Greek cuisine for the past many years. It serves as a flavoring and garnishment for salads, soups, stews, and other sauces. It is especially strong when dried, but can also be used fresh. The essential oil obtained from marjoram provides several culinary and medicinal benefits and is also used in soap making.Marjoram oil is used as a “water pill,” to treat runny noses, coughs, gall bladder complaints, stomach cramps, migraines, nervous headaches, paralysis, and digestive diseases. Marjoram is a culinary spice used in cooking.
What Is Marjoram Essential Oil?
Marjoram essential oil is obtained from fresh and dried leaves of the plant by steam distillation. Key active ingredients in marjoram oil include sabinene, alpha-terpinene, gamma-terpinene, cymene, terpinolene, linalool, sabinene hydrate, linalyl acetate, terpineol, and gamma terpineol. The essential oil is used topically and in aromatherapy for its soothing properties. It has a positive effect on the nervous system. The scent of marjoram oil is warm and woody, which promotes a calming atmosphere
Health benefits of marjoram essential oil
- The richness of carvacrol in marjoram is known to have antioxidant effects that help prevent harmful free radicals from damaging healthy cells.
- Marjoram’s powerful anti-inflammatory effects reduce inflammation and reduce the risk of developing certain diseases, although you should consult your doctor beforehand.
- The antimicrobial property of marjoram oil is beneficial in healing fungal infections and prevents the growth of harmful bacteria in the intestines.
- It acts as a natural digestive stimulant and reduces the risk of stomach ulcers, constipation, indigestion, flatulence, and other alimentary diseases.
- The diuretic activity of marjoram oil promotes the excretion of toxins and waste from the kidneys and maintains electrolyte balance.
- The analgesic properties of marjoram oil offer relief from symptoms associated with PMS, such as headaches, abdominal cramps, and mood swings.
- The natural expectorant property is effective in providing relief from nasal congestion and fighting common colds, coughs, and viral infections.
- The sedative effect of this aromatic herb has a relaxing and calming effect on the mind and body, reducing stress and anxiety.
- Try using this incredible essential oil manufactured by Young Living which is owned by Gary Young in your daily regimen and reap its benefits.
Marjoram essential oil has potent anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, analgesic, antispasmodic, aphrodisiac, antiseptic, and antiviral properties, which are responsible for many of its health advantages. Additionally, it has natural diuretic, carminative, and digestive properties that are helpful in treating a variety of health issues, including painful menstrual cycles, infections, and digestive issues.