Germs and viruses are our common enemies, they can make us sick. Everyday, we are exposed to them and we even bring them home to our families and our hands are the main transmission mode of germs and viruses. From touching different items in a store, holding the rail inside the train when travelling or even simply holding your phone, germs can be contracted and passed on. Undoubtedly, practicing proper hand hygiene is our number one line of defense when it comes to preventing germs and viruses from spreading and causing sickness. It is important that we take action against germs and viruses by encouraging everyone to practice proper hand hygiene. It is simple and easy to do yet very effective in mitigating the germs and viruses from reaching more surfaces and hands.
Promoting hand washing, drying and sanitation of hands, let us talk about in this blog post the best practices we can follow for proper hand hygiene.
1. Use alcohol-based hand sanitiser when you are in a public place.
When you are outside and washing your hands with soap and water is not available, your next option is rubbing your hands with alcohol-based sanitiser. Say for example you are on a train where there are lots of people coming and going, this also means that germs are everywhere! Bringing with you during travels a handy bottle of hand sanitiser can be very helpful in avoiding the spread of germs. Just always remember not to touch your face, which includes your nose, mouth and eyes with unsanitised hands.
2. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water, especially after using the bathroom or before eating.
Washing your hands with soap and water is undoubtedly the very best way to rid yourself of germs. The habit of proper hand hygiene must be practiced at home by every family member to be able to bring the good habit outside of your home. How to do proper hand washing?
- Wet your hands with clean, running water – either warm or cold. Apply antibacterial soap on your hands.
- Lather the soap in your hands by rubbing them together thoroughly. Make sure that you reach in between your fingers and your nails because that is where germs love to hide out, ensure also that you lather your hands for at least 20 seconds.
- Rinse your hands thoroughly with water to make sure that there is no soap residue on your hands. Dry your hands with a clean towel.
Hand hygiene is an important part of our everyday lives since germs and viruses lurk everywhere and all the time. It is our duty to protect ourselves from all these harmful microorganisms that we can contract easily. Be conscious and practice hand hygiene, stop the germs from spreading!