Wheezing is best described as a coarse, whistling sound that is caused by the obstruction or blockage of air by inflammation or mucus within the air tube. Air passes through the bronchi and whenever it is blocked, it narrows down and hence, causes wheezing. It can be caused by different aspects such as lumen within the bronchi walls or pressure applied on the outside of the bronchi. There are instances when wheezing is associated with infections that affect the respiratory tract. While there is the general assumption that all wheezes are caused by asthma, this is far from the case because in other cases, it is as a result of heightened sensitivity especially within the pulmonary tract.
A wheezing attack is preceded by acute cold or respiratory disease. There are different factors that trigger wheezing episode and this includes pollens, smoke, viruses, emotion and other factors that affect the weather. In most cases, this condition is accompanied by a feeling of breathlessness and irritant cough that gets aggravated during the night. In order to ensure that you deal with wheezing effectively, it is important to have a clear picture the factors that trigger it and the best way to address the condition.
There are different factors known to cause cases of wheezing and some of these are as highlighted below.
- Insect bites poisoning
- COPD also known as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Gastrophageal reflux diseases
- Medications such as aspirin
- Foreign object entry into your respiratory tract
Symptoms of wheezing are easy to pint out and this is what makes it considerably easy to find the best remedy and ensure that the condition is addressed before it gets out of hand. In this case, the following are some of the most common symptoms.
- Running nose
- A feeling of being choked in the throat
- Wheezing sound when exhaling
- High fever
While there are hundreds of medications and products that promise to help with treatment of wheezing, you need to weigh your options carefully and make an informed decision. It is precisely because of this reason that you need to consider settling for home remedies. In this case, some of the remedies you ought to try include the following.
- Hot fomentation: This is one of the most effective home remedies and it works by increasing the reaction of the body to irritants. In addition to this, it helps by expelling them. There are certain parts of the body you need to foment and these include the neck, back and the chest. Another option would be dipping your feet in some hot water.
- Lobelia: This is yet another effective home remedy and it helps with the relief of wheezing. The best way to enjoy the benefits offered by lobelia is to use it in your tea and sip slowly. This is important because it helps relax your nerves and also stops spasms associated with wheezing. Bear in mind that you should drink this home remedy slowly in order to ensure that you don’t induce vomiting.
- Mullein oil: This is yet another effective home remedy and it helps with the bronchial contraction reduction and consequently, relieves the spasms that trigger wheezing. The oil also serves the purpose of removing any clogs on the bronchial or bronchi tubules. You can add this oil to water or juice in order to enjoy the benefits it offers. Drink this on a daily basis and you will be in a position to note a major difference in your wheezing episodes.
- Cayenne: This is also useful and this is because it helps reduce cases triggered by irritants. Cayenne also helps with the desensitization of your respiratory system. This is especially true if there are irritants involved and it is the most effective home remedy for preventing repeat attacks.
- Garlic clove: This is especially beneficial for the purpose of removing congestion within the bronchi. It also the best choice for dilating the bronchi and you should mix 1 smashed garlic clove mixed with 1tsp of honey 2 times daily in order to eliminate wheezing symptoms.
- You can also prepare a formula for the purpose of reducing wheezing. In this case, you will need ½ tsp of asafetida, a pinch of camphor and ¼ glass of sesame oil. Mix these thoroughly and store the mix in a glass bottle that is dark. Apply this mixture to the back and chest at least 2 times everyday and you will note a major difference with your wheezing episodes and at the same time, prevent muscle contraction.
- You can also mix equal amounts of asafetida and camphor in order to form pea size pills. These should be taken 3 to 4 times everyday with hot water. In addition to this, you are supposed to take at least 1 to 2 pills in order to enjoy the health benefits associated with these.
- Another home remedy that delivers effective treatment results is ginger powder, long pepper and Gooseberry. In this case, you are supposed to mix these in equal amounts and crash them in order to make a paste. Use clarified butter and honey when making paste. It is an ideal remedy for individuals with mild cases of wheezing and it can be used regularly for the purpose of achieving the desired results.
- Mullein oil is another perfect home remedy and this is because it reduces cases of bronchi congestion. If the wheezing is as a result of bronchi clogging, the oil opens it up and ensures that coughing episodes are eliminated. You can add the oil to a glass of water or oil.
For the purpose of keeping wheezing at bay, it is important to adhere to an ideal diet. This is something that most patients with wheezing problems tend to overlook and yet, if it is carefully observed, it can cure wheezing and ensure that you don’t suffer from any repeat attacks. In this case, you need to consider the following for the purpose of ensuring that your diet meets your needs.
There are a couple of foods you need to add in your diet and this included vegetables and fruits. For the purpose of preventing wheezing, it is important to ensure you get enough nutrients. Most fruits and vegetables have a high level of antioxidants such as vitamin C and these provide anti-inflammatory actions which help with the reduction of wheezing. Therefore, setting up a diet that is rich in vitamin C is the best way to ensure you get rid of your wheezing problems and enjoy better health.
There are certain things you need to eliminate from your diet in order to prevent wheezing. You should settle for a vegan diet that does not have meats, dairy and other foods that are animal derived. There are instances when sodium benzoate, tartrazine and sulphates trigger the wheezing and they should also be avoided. When you have the slightest feeling that your wheezing problem is as a result of certain foods, you should eliminate these from your diet as well. Consult with your doctor or any other qualified professional in order to ensure that you get a conclusive analysis of the foods you need to avoid. By eliminating foods that cause wheezing, you will be better placed to enjoy life more.
- Key Nutrients
While most people tend to take supplements in order to reduce symptoms of wheezing, there are other deficiencies which are as a result of an underlying problem. In this case, you need to consider taking a diet that is rich in selenium, vitamin C, choline, selenium, and magnesium and omega fatty acids. Beta-carotene, bromelain, betaine and Lyprinol are also known to be effective for the purpose of addressing wheezing problems.
By adhering to a proper diet, you can make a major difference in determining whether your wheezing condition is effectively addressed. It is for this reason that it deemed important to weigh all your options when preparing your diet and ensure that it is comprised of nutrient rich foods.
While there are effective remedies for dealing with wheezing, it is always recommended you place the necessary preventive measures into place in order to ensure it does not occur in the first place. Consequently, you should consider the possibility of using the following preventive measures.
- You should avoid chemicals, pollens, flowers and pets since these are known to be the major triggers of wheezing. In addition to this, it is also important to identify any food allergies you might have and avoid them as well in order to ensure you do not run the risk of suffering from a case of wheezing. Also, it is important to ensure that the house is dust free at all times.
- Factors that cause wheezing attacks should be avoided as well and this includes irritants and other allergens such as dust mites, drugs, food addictives, chemical, animal dander and pollutants.
- Make sure that you adhere to a proper diet that is well balanced in order to avoid the complications that might arise later and thus cause wheezing.